Sunday, August 29, 2010

This Weeks Inspiration

As a little girl I spent many hours with my grandmother as she showed me all her dolls and the clothes that she would make for them. She was surrounded by bits of lace and scraps of fabric as she meticulously hand sewed tiny little skirts and aprons. She showed me how to make clothespin dolls and I remember sitting quietly for hours with her snipping and sewing and gluing my own little dolls. She was a kind woman and she taught me many things. She taught me how to garden and the importance of beauty with her amazing flowers. She taught me how to make an apple head doll, that you should surround yourself with things you love and how great coca-cola tastes with vanilla ice cream. She taught me to be strong and strive to be wise and that you can do it on your own, but most importantly she taught me that women should never wear horizontal stripes and all good little dollies wear underpants.


Grandma Floy in the middle... smoking cigars behind the house. (Early 1930's)
.
Another amazing woman in my life was my Aunt Rose. She helped my grandmother take care of her girls when their father left. She was like a second parent to my mom and a wonderful joy to me and my sisters when we were young. She was Texas through and through. Every time she came to visit she would pull out an invisible jar and ask me and my sisters to give her kisses all over her face. She would then "peel" them from her face and put them in her "jar" explaining that now she had a stash of kisses to take home with her. She played for hours with us. An all time favorite Rose quote was "P'like I'm a pussycat, prrr prrr". She encouraged my artistic endeavours and never spoke an unkind word to anyone.... that I know of.

Aunt Rose riding a bull (mid 1930's)
.
Lately I have been inspired by WWII era photos and family history. These two amazing women are my awesome inspiration of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment